Did you know that 90% of us don’t get enough vegetables every day? 90%! Pretty shocking, right?
According to the USDA, most of us need between 2 and 4 cups a day (less if you are smaller and/or less active, and more if you are bigger and/or more active).
But the truth is, most people don’t sit down to eat a big bowl of veggies every day. They usually end up as an afterthought in a side dish.
This is why sneaking veggies into your meals (including BREAKFAST) is such a great idea! It’s a pain- and bother-free way to get more of them into your diet.
I know this tip might fall into the category “I know this but I don’t do it very often.”
Consider this your reminder that it’s time to START! 🙂
I have some ideas to get you going…
6 Easy Ways to Add Veggies to Your Breakfast
- Stir spinach or any other green into your eggs – or blend them into a smoothie
- Shred zucchini or carrots into overnight oats or chia pudding – or stir them into your oats while they cook (surprisingly yum!)
- Make a big batch of veggie hash (basically sauté a bunch of veggies together) ahead of time, and when it’s time to eat, heat it up and add a poached egg or browned tofu on top.
- Add cauliflower or beets to a smoothie.
- Top your avocado toast with some salsa (yes, salsa counts!).
- Make a grain bowl with leftover quinoa or rice and stir in some spinach and goat cheese while you heat it up.
This will keep you feeling full for hours!
Your assignment: Sneak some veggies into your breakfast a couple of days this week.
You don’t have to overhaul your entire lifestyle to feel healthier and more energized fast.
It really IS about making small changes over time that you can actually live with!
A few years ago I remember seeing a chart of “burpee equivalents” for food. Do you remember it? A cookie = 141 burpees, a small meatball sub = 402 burpees, a Big Mac = 506 burpees…
Do you love “hacks” when it comes to fitness and health? I know I do! Well, these fruits and veggies below can help power up your workouts and recovery in a big way …And I bet the next time you see them in the grocery store, you’ll look at them in a whole new light!
Shocking stat! Only 1 out of every 10 people eat enough of this food group … Even though these foods help keep your heart healthy … your skin glowing … your energy high … your hormones balanced … and your tummy happy.
Raise your hand if you love a “how am I doing?” quiz. (I know I love them!) I’ve got a little fitness & health self-audit for you today to help keep you on track with your healthy habits. This can be a good self-check to see if you need to double down on your healthy habits after the past few months.