What’s your top food craving – something salty? Sweet? Or something completely different?
I don’t know anyone who DOESN’T get cravings from time to time.
But I have another question for you. Do you view food cravings as the enemy,
something you should do battle with?
Or maybe they feel more like a sign of weakness. So many people feel that way about cravings – but cravings are actually totally normal. One of the reasons I’ve been talking about intuitive eating this month is that it can empower you so you are no longer controlled by your cravings. Because the fact is, you actually have a choice in the matter!
Let’s say you are going about your business on a normal day … and all of a sudden you start craving pizza. With a diet “all or nothing” mindset, you’re left to white-knuckle your way through the craving if you think you shouldn’t have pizza. You might wonder WHY that craving has come to tempt you from being “good” – because pizza is “bad.”
And thinking that it’s bad or off-limits can actually drive your craving to intensify! With an intuitive eating mindset, you can give up that tug-of-war feeling.
First, you take a few minutes to pay attention to your body’s cues and figure out if your craving is just a passing mood, a sign you’re truly hungry, or even whether you are going to have a slice for dinner and then move on with your life.
Some questions to ask yourself:
1. Are you physically hungry?
2. Is this a habit – do you normally have cravings this time of day?
3. Am I being driven by emotion? Do you feel angry, stressed, lonely, bored, or sad?
4. Can you shift your mindset for a few minutes so the craving goes away?
So many times, if we simply shift our attention, our craving will completely DISAPPEAR!
Whatever decision you do end up making, it will be one that was thoughtfully made. And that’s what it’s all about.When YOU make the decision, you are no longer controlled by your cravings. You are now in control.
“Training your mind to be present in the moment is the #1 key to making healthier
choices.” – Susan Albers
I’ve got a special treat for you today…It’s a healthy snack bar recipe that’s perfect for a mid-morning or mid-afternoon pick-me-up. Not only does it taste great, but it’s vegan, gluten-free, and low in sugar!
They will keep for several weeks in an airtight container (if they last that long).
Note: the trickiest part of this recipe is actually how sticky the “batter” is. That’s because it’s not really a batter, as it’s made almost entirely of nuts and seeds.
I recommend using a rubber spatula to mix it as well as spread it out in the pan before baking. Feel free to mix up the kinds of nuts, seeds, and nut butters you use. You really can’t go wrong.
Coco-Nutty Snack Bars
● 1 cup (125 g) chopped pecans or almonds
● ⅔ cup (66 g) unsweetened shredded coconut
● ¼ cup (36 g) pumpkin seeds
● ¼ cup (36 g) chia or flaxseed (ground)
● ¼ tsp Himalayan salt
● 1 tbsp coconut sugar
● 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
● 1-2 tbsp natural nut butter (either peanut, almond, or other flavor)
● 3 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (162ºC). Line an 8-inch (20 cm) square pan with parchment paper.
- Place the first 5 ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Pour over the nut mixture and stir together well.
- Pour the resulting batter into a prepared baking pan. It will be sticky and hard to
maneuver, but press it down into an even layer that covers the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- When done, let cool for about 45 minutes. Slice into 16 bars. Remove the bars and let cool for another 30 minutes on a cooling rack. Store in an airtight container.
Hope you enjoy these!
Sign up for a free trial of my online training program!
A few years ago I remember seeing a chart of “burpee equivalents” for food. Do you remember it? A cookie = 141 burpees, a small meatball sub = 402 burpees, a Big Mac = 506 burpees…
Do you love “hacks” when it comes to fitness and health? I know I do! Well, these fruits and veggies below can help power up your workouts and recovery in a big way …And I bet the next time you see them in the grocery store, you’ll look at them in a whole new light!
Shocking stat! Only 1 out of every 10 people eat enough of this food group … Even though these foods help keep your heart healthy … your skin glowing … your energy high … your hormones balanced … and your tummy happy.
Raise your hand if you love a “how am I doing?” quiz. (I know I love them!) I’ve got a little fitness & health self-audit for you today to help keep you on track with your healthy habits. This can be a good self-check to see if you need to double down on your healthy habits after the past few months.
Do you know one of the TOP reasons people have for NOT being able to commit to a regular fitness routine?
It’s because they say they “don’t have enough time.” So I’m going to break down some ways you can find that time!
Controversial topic ahead! It includes the “D” word – detox!!! BUT … it’s different than you think. What if instead of talking about “detoxing” the body, we “detoxed” what we put in, on, and around our bodies? (NOTE: This is also known as living a healthy lifestyle!)