Do you remember Whac-A-Mole? You know, the arcade game where a mole keeps popping up in unpredictable spots and it’s your job to smack it on the head?
Well, that’s kind of like how stress works.
Except you are the mole … and when stress gets out of control, every time you make a move, it keeps bopping YOU on the head.
Not only do you feel out of control, but it can also make you feel too tired or distracted to get in a solid workout. Even worse, it can derail your workouts entirely (which sucks, because working out is a great stress reliever).
This is why it’s SO IMPORTANT to have a plan to manage stress before it manages you. I came across this list of 6 different kinds of stress a while ago and thought it was eye-opening.
Since most of us deal with more than one kind of stress at a time, you can see how it really adds up!
- Physical stress: bad night of sleep, being sick, hungry, or injured
- Mental stress: rough day at work, too many decisions to make, overwhelmed
- Emotional stress: feeling guilty, grief, anger, hate, frustration
- Social stress: disagreements with others, feeling lonely, etc.
- Existential stress: feeling hopeless, wondering what it all means, etc.
- Environmental stress: loud noises, unsafe surroundings, hot or cold temperatures, stuck in traffic, etc.
Creating a lifestyle that helps you prevent and manage those stresses will help you become more resilient – and can stop stress from getting in the way of your goals.
PLUS: the same steps that help you manage stress will also move you CLOSER to your fitness goals.
- Getting enough sleep
- Exercise and being active
- Eating a healthy diet
- Practicing stress management techniques that work with you (yoga, breathing exercises, etc.)
Make time for YOU today! You deserve it.