It’s a special time of year … with celebrations, traditions, and festivities galore….Which is awesome. BUT … there’s something not-so-awesome, too – it’s all those sneaky saboteurs that come out during the holidays.
They can set you back in a BIG WAY from reaching your goals.
I put together a list of the 6 common ways we sabotage our progress over the holidays. When you are aware of these things, it’s so much easier to avoid them.
Top 6 Ways to Sabotage Your Progress Over the Holidays:
- Not eating all day before a party
On the surface, eating lightly all day when you know you’re going to overindulge later can seem like you’re doing something good…But it actually can backfire, leaving you to eat and drink even MORE than you expected because you are so hungry.
A better bet: Eat healthy, slightly smaller meals before you head out … and then enjoy your favorites in moderation!
- Overdoing fancy seasonal coffeehouse drinks
Even if you’ve seen these numbers before, they bear another look. Talk about empty calories and a roller-coaster ride for your blood sugar levels:– Peppermint Hot Chocolate: (12 oz /350 ml): 330 calories, 41 grams of sugar
– Caramel Brulee Latte (12 oz/350 ml): 310 calories, 36 grams of sugar
– Eggnog Frappuccino (16 oz/475 ml): 410 calories, 60 grams of sugar
- Eating it just “because it’s there.”
Your once-a-year indulgence in your Nana’s famous gingerbread – so worth it!The store-bought cookies someone bought at the last minute to bring to the holiday party? Not so much. They’ll just leave you feeling tired and sorry you ate them.
- Drinking too muchThere are a lot of reasons to be intentional about your alcohol intake. It can interfere with your sleep and make you dehydrated … plus it also contains a lot of empty calories.
But here’s something you might not realize: It can lower your inhibitions, which means you might be more likely to snack on foods you’d normally avoid!
- Letting your exercise routine slideOne of the things we’ve learned over the past 2 years is that being fit is a huge part of being healthy – it can keep your immune system strong and in shape.
Yes, this season can be hectic … but do your best to squeeze in at least a quick workout most days of the week. Not just for your results, but for your mind and overall health.
- Not getting enough sleepMaking time for sleep is SO WORTH IT. You’ll have more energy to tackle the holidays … plus it will even help keep your metabolism revved and appetite in check.
Remember, it’s all about MODERATION. Having a plan in place is SO IMPORTANT, not only during the holidays … but all year long. It gets rid of the guesswork while keeping you moving forward.
I get asked all the time: “How do you stay so motivated?” Fact: I don’t! …. So I work at it! Motivation is like a muscle – the more you flex it, the stronger it becomes.
I’ve got a quick post today with a very simple message…. Keep going! If you’re struggling right now with your goals, it’s NORMAL.
I’ve got a tip for you that’s so simple it will blow your mind and make you think “dad joke”.
Want to know the secret to reaching your goals? It’s setting goals that you can reach. I know that sounds like a no-brainer, but hear me out.
You know I like to focus on the positive, right? Well, I’m about to tell you how NOT to reach your goals this year. Because there’s one big mistake you can make that can push you into a HUGE trap – and you’ll end up feeling frustrated, burned out, and like a quitter.