My jaw dropped when I saw this fact a while ago. Did you know that there is a drug that 85% of us use every single day? If you’re one of them, I have a little assignment for you. 🙂 No, I am not going to ask you to quit.
It’s caffeine … and we use it to get going in the morning, power through workouts or work, and keep us going through the mid-afternoon slump.
The upside of caffeine?
- It gives you energy
- It boosts your alertness and ability to concentrate
- It can come in beverages filled with antioxidants that have health benefits (ex: tea!)
That’s all well and good …But there are a few downsides.
- It can take up to 10 hours to clear your system – which means it can also get in the way of relaxing – and falling and staying asleep.
- You can build up a tolerance after your body gets used to it, which means you might need to drink more of it to get the same effects.
- It can raise your blood pressure.
- It can make you “wired-tired”: jittery, overstimulated, and tired at the same time.
- It’s linked with migraines.
- It doesn’t mix well with some medications and health issues.
- Suddenly quitting caffeine can give you headaches and leave you feeling tired, achy, and even nauseous.
This leads me to that little assignment I mentioned earlier. Today, take some time to ask yourself:
Are you using caffeine – or is it using you?
If you are feeling jittery and stressed, having a hard time sleeping, getting headaches, or finding that your tolerance for caffeine is increasing …Or maybe you feel like you NEED it to keep going through the day – it might be time to reevaluate your caffeine use.
Just something to think about!
It’s amazing how one little habit and mindset shift can turn everything around. I’ve shared a couple of stories recently about my personal experience with morning routines. I thought it’d be a good idea to talk a little bit about my nighttime routine! Because it plays a huge role in my wellness.
Did you have a great morning? If you did, it probably wasn’t by accident. You either: Made the decision (even if you didn’t consciously do it!) when you woke up to have a GREAT morning. And/or …It was great by DEFAULT because you’ve created your own morning routine that set you up for a successful day!
I’m lucky to have a few really great cooks in my life. Several of my friends actually used to cook professionally, which I have recently learned makes them actual “chefs.” Anyway … one of the chefs blew my mind when he gave me the secret to his amazing family meals.
Here’s something you might be surprised to know if your social media feed is anything like mine. The “hustle and grind” is NOT the fastest path to your results. In fact, for some people, it’s a path to NOWHERE. Especially if you have responsibilities … like a career, family, home, pets, etc.!