I’ve got a hot topic for you in this post… And if you ask me, it hasn’t gotten enough attention over the past couple of years. It’s your immune system, and here’s why I think it needs more attention.
Your immune system is basically like your very own Marvel superhero universe, working hard to protect your body 24/7 from invaders. Here’s the overlooked part: when you strengthen your immune system, you actually create a fitter, stronger, leaner, and healthier body.
Strengthening your immune system goes hand-in-hand with your health & fitness goals.
7 Steps to Strengthen Your Immune System:
- Get at least 7 hours of sleep a night. Studies show not getting enough quality sleep makes you more susceptible to getting sick.
- Make sure your diet is packed with whole plant-based foods (fruits, veggies, nuts, legumes, etc.) because they contain antioxidants, anti-inflammatories, and vitamin C, which all can help you fight illness.
- Get some fiber, too. Your gut microbiome is a big part of your immune system – the healthy bacteria in your gut can improve your immunity while keeping pathogens from getting into your body through your digestive tract.
- Cut back on added sugar. This one is a one-two punch. First, added sugars contribute to disease-causing inflammation. And second, they contribute to obesity, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease, all of which can affect your immune system.
- Moderate exercise can cut inflammation plus promote the turnover of immune cells in your system. Aim for 150 minutes a week (5 x 30-minute sessions of exercises like brisk walking, swimming, jogging, biking, etc.)
- Don’t get dehydrated because it’s linked with lowered immunity. Try to drink at least half your bodyweight in ounces in water, daily (140 pounds = 70 ounces).
- Make time to destress by building stress management into your routine. This could be yoga, meditation, prayer, journaling, exercise, or anything else that helps you burn off stress. Being chronically stressed is linked with inflammation in your body, plus it can affect your immune cell function.
Being proactive about your health and well-being matters now and into the future!
How many of those 7 steps are you taking today?
Let me know!
You know those moments when you feel like you’re up against a challenge SO big, it seems like there’s no way out? Maybe you feel like you have a lot of weight to lose, or maybe you’re up against a health concern that seems “impossible” to fix.
Ready for a reframe that will totally change your ability to get through roadblocks? Your mindset and your thoughts are NOT the same thing.
This month we are going to talk about balance – work/life balance, a balanced diet, etc. – but first, I want to dispel a HUGE MYTH.
I’m here with an important motivational message for you! There’s an old Japanese proverb … “Fall down seven times, get up eight.”