Did you know we are in a personal energy crisis? Studies show that most adults feel tired at least three days a week, and some of us even feel tired every day. I’m going to be focusing a lot this month on how you can actually CREATE more personal energy.
And I’m kicking it off with a completely achievable list of ways you can set yourself up for a high-energy day. The best part is that none of these suggestions will take you a long time … and they actually WORK!
9 Easy Morning Habits to Boost Your Energy:
1. Don’t hit the snooze button – Dozing for a few extra minutes can actually make you feel more tired and less focused during the day because it short-circuits your ability to get a full sleep cycle.
2. Drink a big glass of water – Being even a little bit dehydrated can make you feel tired, and after going an entire night without water your body needs it! And while you’re at it …
3. Splash your face with cold water … or take a cold shower – This will really wake you up! Cold water is invigorating and it can trigger your body to send out endorphins, which are feel-good hormones.
4. Take a BIIIIIG stretch – Did you know that when you are in REM sleep, your skeletal muscles are actually paralyzed? This is just one reason why stretching when you wake up feels so good – plus, it can stimulate your body to release more of those endorphins.
5. Eat a healthy, low-sugar breakfast – Research shows that skipping breakfast can affect your performance later in the day.
Skip the donuts/muffins/bagel and instead go for lean proteins (eggs or tofu), veggies and/or fruits, whole grains, and healthy fats.
6. Get some sunshine – Not only is it energizing in the moment, but it also helps your body create energy-promoting vitamin D. Plus, it helps regulate your hormones to improve your sleep at night.
7. Do something fun or energizing – Listen to your favorite music or upbeat podcast, work out, try a morning meditation – whatever appeals to you!
8. Drink a cup of coffee or green tea (but not more) – Overdoing it in the morning can actually make you feel drained later in the day!
9. Wake up after 7-8 hours of quality sleep – This email would be too long if I listed off all the reasons why getting a good night of sleep is vital to your health (and energy!). Make sure you go to bed early enough so this is a possibility.
It’s the small, consistent actions you take every day that adds up to big results.
That’s why we focus on creating small healthy habits with our clients … because it’s the CONSISTENCY that matters the most!
MORE FROM THE BLOG
A few years ago I remember seeing a chart of “burpee equivalents” for food. Do you remember it? A cookie = 141 burpees, a small meatball sub = 402 burpees, a Big Mac = 506 burpees…
Do you love “hacks” when it comes to fitness and health? I know I do! Well, these fruits and veggies below can help power up your workouts and recovery in a big way …And I bet the next time you see them in the grocery store, you’ll look at them in a whole new light!
Shocking stat! Only 1 out of every 10 people eat enough of this food group … Even though these foods help keep your heart healthy … your skin glowing … your energy high … your hormones balanced … and your tummy happy.
Raise your hand if you love a “how am I doing?” quiz. (I know I love them!) I’ve got a little fitness & health self-audit for you today to help keep you on track with your healthy habits. This can be a good self-check to see if you need to double down on your healthy habits after the past few months.