Let’s talk about a topic a lot of people feel uncomfortable talking about: DIGESTION. When it’s working great, life is GOOD! And when it’s not, well … you can feel bloated, gassy, sluggish, and just plain BLAH.
Lots of factors can affect your digestion – including getting OLDER. Research shows that about 40% of older adults have at least one age-related digestive problem every year! That includes constipation … reflux … sensitivities to certain foods … ulcers … polyps … and more.
Plus, as we age it’s common for our digestive systems to slow down, which can exacerbate other problems!
Here are some steps you can take to keep your digestive system happier, as well as some things you can ask your doctor about during your next visit.
- Get at least 30 minutes of exercise 5 days a week. This can help with constipation and cut your risk of colon cancer.
- Make sure you get enough fiber by eating veggies, fruits, legumes, and whole grains as part of your everyday diet. These can keep you regular.
- If you’re taking meds (including blood pressure meds or over-the-counter NSAIDs) and are having digestive issues, talk to your doctor and/or pharmacist. Some BP meds are linked with constipation, while NSAIDs can cause ulcers.
- Maintain a healthy weight. This can help prevent health problems that crop up as we age, from high blood pressure to diabetes and heart disease. Fewer health issues generally mean fewer meds, which means fewer digestion-related side effects like constipation.
- Drink water. Slowed digestion can mean more water gets absorbed from food waste, leading to constipation.
- Pay attention to how you feel after eating. If you notice you feel bloated, gassy, or constipated, look for what foods might be triggering it. Ask your doc about it.
- Ask your doctor about supplementing with digestive enzymes to help boost your digestion.
Keeping your digestive system in good operating order is so important because it processes the food you eat, ensuring you get all the nutrients you need to stay fit, strong, and healthy!
I just HAD to share this with you, because when I read this, it completely blew my mind. Have you ever …
Hot topic alert today! It’s all about getting a GREAT NIGHT OF SLEEP. One of the top things that can get in the way of your fitness goals is getting enough quality sleep. It can affect your mood, stress, appetite, and recovery … among many other things!
Have you ever heard that saying, “It’s not just the years in your life, but the life in your years”? I have an eye-opening and fun “what if” exercise for you today to bring that saying to life – YOUR life! It harnesses the power of visualization to help MOTIVATE and INSPIRE you!
What you need to know about investing in your future health and staying healthy as you age!