Ever eaten at a gourmet sandwich shop and tried something new … and was BLOWN AWAY by the deliciousness?!
Well, I’ve got a recipe for you today that’s based on one of those sandwiches. I’m drooling just thinking about it. It’s crunchy (the toasted bread) … creamy (the avocado & hummus) … and tangy (the sauerkraut).
PLUS … it’s super filling, fiber-rich, contains gut-friendly sauerkraut, and can be entirely plant-based if you use a vegan butter spread.
Depending on your preferences, you can use pumpernickel bread, sprouted-grain bread, or good-quality gluten-free bread.
Avocado Sauerkraut Sandwich
- 2 slices bread
- ½ Tbsp grass-fed butter or vegan butter spread
- 3 big Tbsp of your favorite hummus
- 3 big Tbsp naturally fermented sauerkraut
- ¼ avocado, peeled and cut into slices
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat.
- While it’s heating, take one of the bread slices, butter one side of it, and place it butter-side-down on the skillet.
- Spread the slice with half of the hummus, and cover it with the sauerkraut and avocado slices.
- For the remaining slice of bread, slather one side of it with butter and the other side with the remaining hummus.
- Place it hummus-side-down over the avocado slices.
- Let it cook for about 4-6 minutes until the bread is toasted.
- Flip the sandwich over and cook for another 4-6 minutes, until the sandwich reaches your desired level of toastiness.
Roasted red pepper hummus is so good in this, but I don’t think you can go wrong with any flavor!
Try it and let me know what you think!
MORE FROM THE BLOG
A few years ago I remember seeing a chart of “burpee equivalents” for food. Do you remember it? A cookie = 141 burpees, a small meatball sub = 402 burpees, a Big Mac = 506 burpees…
Do you love “hacks” when it comes to fitness and health? I know I do! Well, these fruits and veggies below can help power up your workouts and recovery in a big way …And I bet the next time you see them in the grocery store, you’ll look at them in a whole new light!
Shocking stat! Only 1 out of every 10 people eat enough of this food group … Even though these foods help keep your heart healthy … your skin glowing … your energy high … your hormones balanced … and your tummy happy.
Raise your hand if you love a “how am I doing?” quiz. (I know I love them!) I’ve got a little fitness & health self-audit for you today to help keep you on track with your healthy habits. This can be a good self-check to see if you need to double down on your healthy habits after the past few months.