Ever eaten at a gourmet sandwich shop and tried something new … and was BLOWN AWAY by the deliciousness?!
Well, I’ve got a recipe for you today that’s based on one of those sandwiches. I’m drooling just thinking about it. It’s crunchy (the toasted bread) … creamy (the avocado & hummus) … and tangy (the sauerkraut).
PLUS … it’s super filling, fiber-rich, contains gut-friendly sauerkraut, and can be entirely plant-based if you use a vegan butter spread.
Depending on your preferences, you can use pumpernickel bread, sprouted-grain bread, or good-quality gluten-free bread.
Avocado Sauerkraut Sandwich
- 2 slices bread
- ½ Tbsp grass-fed butter or vegan butter spread
- 3 big Tbsp of your favorite hummus
- 3 big Tbsp naturally fermented sauerkraut
- ¼ avocado, peeled and cut into slices
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat.
- While it’s heating, take one of the bread slices, butter one side of it, and place it butter-side-down on the skillet.
- Spread the slice with half of the hummus, and cover it with the sauerkraut and avocado slices.
- For the remaining slice of bread, slather one side of it with butter and the other side with the remaining hummus.
- Place it hummus-side-down over the avocado slices.
- Let it cook for about 4-6 minutes until the bread is toasted.
- Flip the sandwich over and cook for another 4-6 minutes, until the sandwich reaches your desired level of toastiness.
Roasted red pepper hummus is so good in this, but I don’t think you can go wrong with any flavor!
Try it and let me know what you think!
MORE FROM THE BLOG
There’s ONE thing you can change that has a surprising impact on your health, mood, and pretty much everything you do! It isn’t a workout and it doesn’t involve overhauling your diet.
This sugar stat caught me by surprise… and I thought I already knew a LOT about sugar. 👉 Eating just 100 calories a day of sugar (which is about 25 grams of added sugars, or 6 teaspoons) is linked to 45 DIFFERENT negative health outcomes.
What if I told you there’s ONE number you need to pay attention to BEFORE you start counting calories, macros, or anything else? For many of us, this number is a complete mystery. But once you figure it out, it’s a complete game-changer.
There are probably a few things in your life that you’d like to slow down… But when it comes to your metabolism? Probably not.