Ever eaten at a gourmet sandwich shop and tried something new … and was BLOWN AWAY by the deliciousness?!
Well, I’ve got a recipe for you today that’s based on one of those sandwiches. I’m drooling just thinking about it. It’s crunchy (the toasted bread) … creamy (the avocado & hummus) … and tangy (the sauerkraut).
PLUS … it’s super filling, fiber-rich, contains gut-friendly sauerkraut, and can be entirely plant-based if you use a vegan butter spread.
Depending on your preferences, you can use pumpernickel bread, sprouted-grain bread, or good-quality gluten-free bread.
Avocado Sauerkraut Sandwich
- 2 slices bread
- ½ Tbsp grass-fed butter or vegan butter spread
- 3 big Tbsp of your favorite hummus
- 3 big Tbsp naturally fermented sauerkraut
- ¼ avocado, peeled and cut into slices
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat.
- While it’s heating, take one of the bread slices, butter one side of it, and place it butter-side-down on the skillet.
- Spread the slice with half of the hummus, and cover it with the sauerkraut and avocado slices.
- For the remaining slice of bread, slather one side of it with butter and the other side with the remaining hummus.
- Place it hummus-side-down over the avocado slices.
- Let it cook for about 4-6 minutes until the bread is toasted.
- Flip the sandwich over and cook for another 4-6 minutes, until the sandwich reaches your desired level of toastiness.
Roasted red pepper hummus is so good in this, but I don’t think you can go wrong with any flavor!
Try it and let me know what you think!
MORE FROM THE BLOG
12 Days of Fitmas Workout Inside!
It’s one of the most anticipated emails of the year … because it’s got all of the details for this year’s 12 Days of Fitmas Workout! This is a special holiday workout that will fire up your metabolism and help keep you on track with your goals.
Your holiday survival checklist is inside
It’s not just you — a study by Healthline found that when it comes to health and finances, not only do 44% of people think the holidays are “somewhat stressful” and 18% of them classified them as “very stressful”!
Meal Prep Superfood Bowl Recipe
Your new favorite meal prep recipe is here! This Superfood Bowl comes together fast using
Your top secret saboteur
Lately I’ve been talking about next-level steps you can take to boost your results … and today’s post might just be about the most important step. It affects almost every action you take and every decision you make.